Outdoor Adventure Program At Little Creek Lodge
“Discover your true self physically, emotionally and spiritually”
Finding joy can be difficult especially when it’s the beginning of one’s recovery journey. This is also a reason why the risk of relapse is so common during the early stages of sobriety. But, just because it may be hard, doesn’t mean it’s not possible. As Dolly Parton says,
Life demands all the strength you possess. Why not enjoy the adventure? At Little Creek Lodge, residents are encouraged to find their strengths together, and to forge life-long relationships with men they trust. By taking advantage of all that Mother Nature has to offer, either here in the woods of Pennsylvania, or in trips outside our borders, residents often rediscover parts of themselves they thought were long lost – and have a blast while they do it.
The recovery process can be challenging, but when you are surrounded by family, nothing is impossible.
Why Seek Adventure?
Adventure is defined as an unusual and exciting, typically risky, experience or activity. However, studies have shown that adventure combines nature and the power of one’s will and imagination to achieve success. Individuals who seek nature and experience are in the process of healing, as without challenge, growth can’t happen.
By taking advantage of all that Mother Nature has to offer, either here in the woods of Pennsylvania, or trips outside our borders, residents often rediscover parts of themselves they thought were long lost – and have a blast while they do it.
While the recovery process can be challenging, you’re are not alone. With the support of Little Creek Lodge, along with your friends or family, you can achieve sobriety and reach your goals while in recovery and after.
What Is Outdoor Adventure Therapy?
Adventure therapy is a type of psychotherapy that was developed in the 1960s. The main focus of this type of addiction counseling is to help improve a person’s psychological, physical, social, and spiritual wellbeing through nature and exercise.
Through evidence-based recreational activities, adventure therapy programs not only individuals suffering from mental health and addiction be able to manage their conditions but also help friends and family be able to understand and support their loved ones to the best of their ability.
Outdoor adventure therapy has proven to be a highly effective treatment method. During sessions, adventure therapists aim to utilize tools and the power of the outdoors to promote the power of healing and recovery, as well as healthy identity and culture development, self-efficacy, improve self-esteem, and overall personal growth. Typical activities and trips within our program include:
- Zip Lining
- Mountain Biking
- Indoor/Outdoor Rock Climbing
- Skiing / Snowboarding
- Horseback riding
- River Rafting
- Go Karting
- Amusement Parks / Water Parks
- Frisbee Golf
- Iron Man – Overnight Camping Trip
- Day Trips to New York City and Philadelphia
At Little Creek, we help guide you through your adventure and find the many joys of living sober, from the inside out.
”Discover your true self, physically,
emotionally and spiritually”
Benefits Of An Outdoor Adventure Program
At Little Creek Lodge, our adventure therapy program, our activities are intentionally therapeutic, aimed to help people listen and communicate better, improve relationships and meet others, overcome challenges, forge their identity, and build resilience.
Each person comes with their own unique story and challenges that they face. While our treatment plans are unique to each person’s needs, outdoor adventure therapy is included in everything. There are several benefits of this type of program, they include the following:
- Accurate clinical assessments
- A noticeable decrease in anxiety and depression
- Therapy to help overcome trauma
- Encouraging and promoting a sense of responsibility
- Building positive relationships and learning to co-exist with others
- Acquiring positive social skills like communication and conflict resolution
- Improving self-awareness and self-confidence
- Increasing resiliency
- Encouraging openness, communication, and emotional discovery
- Creating meaningful opportunities to face challenges
- Improving self-esteem and emotional/behavioral functioning
- Teaching healthy coping skills, including stress management skills
Outdoor Adventure Programs Help Treat Mental And Behavioral Health Conditions
Our outdoor adventure therapy program model is versatile is designed to build challenges that initiate physical and mental decision-making, but most importantly, to help meet each individual at their level of recovery. Part of it is learning and facing challenges, which we have seen firsthand leading to effectively address a variety of mental and behavioral conditions including:
- Substance abuse (Drugs and alcohol)
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Relationship issues and family conflict
- Identity development
- Behavioral issues
- Autism and other neurological conditions
- Eating disorders
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs)
- Opposition and defiance
At Little Creek Lodge, our adventure program is designed to push residents to the limits and beyond. Time spent outdoors can renew the mind, body, spirit, and remind residents that anything is possible. Residents are empowered to make good choices about their futures and can celebrate their successes with their peers.
Principles Behind Outdoor Adventure Therapy
Outdoor adventure therapy is extremely effective at helping individuals develop psychological principles that will provide them with the tools they need to live a healthy high-quality lifestyle and most importantly, maintain sobriety after they leave treatment. The principles behind adventure therapy are:
- Identity development: Identity refers to a sense of one’s self as an individual including their values, beliefs, and purpose.
- Self-efficacy and self-esteem: Self-efficacy is the belief we have in our ability to succeed. This is specifically regarding our ability to meet the challenges and complete tasks successfully.
- Grit: Adventure therapy helps to improve one’s strength and courage.
- Resilience and Growth: A big principle of outdoor adventure therapy is helping people become more resilient, and grow personally and professionally.
Finding the Fun In Sobriety With Our Outdoor Adventure Program
At Little Creek Lodge in Lake Ariel, PA, we help guide you through your road to recovery. Our outdoor adventure therapy program not only helps find the many joys of living sober, from the inside out, but most importantly, discover your true self physically, emotionally, and spiritually. To learn more about our recreation treatment program, and how it can help you or a loved one, contact us today.